Monday, August 9, 2010

Fiddle Camp... from MY side :)

Hey loyal followers! :)

I officially started this post on the third day of camp, but internet ran out and I didn't have time to finish it. SO: Here is a post from then, and another part (which I'll write in a bit) from the end of the trip. : )

***Well, we're here at camp in Solingen, Germany. It's the end of day three, and I've learned (officially) ~18 tunes...... in a total of 12 1/2 hours (ish), including reviewing old tunes. UUUUUUUUUUUmmmmmmmmmmmmm that's a lot............ :) but I LOVE them.... mostly : ) the Shetland tunes that Kevin teaches (even tho he's like the coolest Scot I know) are a little strange. After all, Shetland is kinda secluded..... so I guess that explains a little of it : ) The tunes that Kirstine (a Dane) teaches us a cool; the tunes that Harald (the camp leader) teaches are awesome (and hard); and the tunes from Hanneke are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the tunes that Kevin taught us, called Christchurch Cathedral, is gorgeous, and I heard a beautiful harmony line in my head for it... so saying, in class that day I decided to play it just because, and Kevin LOVED it and wants me to teach it to the class tomorrow (btw, with hindsight, I did and everyone else loved it too :D). SO COOL!!!!!! I also did a masterclass today with Harald, playing a Danish jig called Trekant Fra Hardyssel II (a typical Danish name meaning a jig). I learned some really cool tricks - it was awesome. Then, we had a magic show (which I was a volunteer in) tonight. That's all for today!***

THIS part of the post will all be hindsight, cuz we're home : )

So here's the rest of the week: Wednesday (and Thursday and Friday) -- learned some more tunes (totaling more than 20 tunes learned now). I taught my harmony part to my class (the Super Advanced class or as we were more "lovingly" called, the Champion's League) and reviewed tunes. Wednesday night we went to the Teacher's Concert (SO GOOD!!) and then Thursday nacht was the open stage concert (btw, we learned some German too) Caiti, Chris and I played some Celtic Fusion and Bluegrass fiddle, then all of us played a tune that Mum and I wrote for Harald and his wife Helene, called Solskin og Latter (meaning Sunshine and Laughter in Danish). Friday, we reviewed tunes, rehearsed for the concert, and had the concert (in which I got to lead a tune, as the only non-teacher in the entire concert to do so - how cool is that??). Then we jammed and hung out until almost 2am (which I did almost every night - so fun). Saturday we packed up and left (which was sad) and drove to Haarlem, where (unfortunately) the Corrie Ten Boom house INSIDE was closed, so we saw the outside. We also got AMAZING Belgium waffles with "eis" (ice cream in German). Sunday we ate breakie in the castle and flew home!

So there you go! After a mindblowingly INCREDIBLE trip to the UK and Europe, WE'RE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Meghan

2 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad you are home!!! Fiddle camp sounds really cool. It's fun to hear it from your perspective too. It is very sad that the Corrie ten Boom house was closed, though! I have a book all about it with pictures of the inside that I'll have to find and show you sometime. :) See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the description of how you liked the tunes the teachers taught you--progression from "strange" to "GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". :) I think Hanneke Cassel's fiddle tunes are great too--I was listening to them today. Very glad you're home! It's so fun to think that you guys are actually in the same country as I am again!

    ReplyDelete